Best org chart software — Org charts, which is short for organizational charts, helps users create organizational charts of all the employees within a company. This kind of software is focused on improving internal communications within an organization by offering awareness of current employees.
An org chart is, basically, a diagram that shows all of a company’s employee structure. This includes every department in the organization, how staff relate to each other, and the roles that fill them out.
An Org chart software will help your organisation in creating an organigram or organogram, which are organizational charts that illustrate the organizational structure and the relationships among the departments in your organisation. An organizational chart always represents the positions or jobs in a business or company and its relative ranks flowing from top to bottom.
With an outstanding org chart software, you can understand the hierarchical layers and the chain of command in your organisation. Org chart software are important not only because they speed up the process of creating an organizational chart but they let you visualize and reorganize the workforce in real-time.
With an org chart software, you can also be able to define individual roles in a company and create cross-team connections. Generally, Org chart software usually works hand-in-hand with workforce management software, which HR teams use to plan, manage, and track employee work.
While using an Org chart software, you should be able to have access to a variety of ways to create and design charts. Many of these org chart software come with tons of prebuilt templates and designs to help fasten the creation process. Org chart software also lets you upload employee rosters to create an employee directory with full-text search capabilities, with options to upload individual names or import a list in bulk from spreadsheets software.
Using Org chart software, HR teams can indicate specific roles, departments, and more. You will also be able to enable the publication and updating of organizational charts the organisation grows.
Many times, keeping track and understanding how so many new roles in an organization fit together can be challenging and tedious. This can fan up the question: How do I know who is reporting to who? And who is responsible for a particular task? and so on.
Now, thanks to the introduction of Org charts, we now have great assets to help us understand how everyone’s roles fit together, especially for companies having an influx of new hires. You might ask, how do I make one? Well, there are tons of Org chart software that achieve that. To save you from the battle of choosing the right software for you, I have compiled this article as a guide to help you make a good decision.
With an Org chart software, you will be able to model your workforce for maximum efficiency and effectiveness, or figure out the right person to contact across departments you’re not familiar with. Having a carefully designed Org chart software will help the organisation know who reports to who, who does what, and the workflow of the organisation.
In recent times, organization chart software has become suitable for different types of businesses that need to keep track of recently hired people, existing employees, employees promoted to different positions, etc. As growing companies experience frequent change in their growth process, this change can sweep across department structures. Having an updated org chart which is accessible to everyone at all times is important for carrying out tasks with confidence and efficiency.
So in this article, I have compiled a list of the best Org chart software you can find on the market. Let’s dive into the Org chart software options to dissect key features, pros, cons, and reviews.
Top 12 Best Org Chart Software
So, I have gone out of my way to make a list of the 12 best Org chart software on the market right now. So far, these are the most notable Org chart software great for any size of organization.
- The Org
Organimi is one of the best Org chart software that is easy-to-use and great for beginners. This software sticks to the tools you simply need to create charts for your company’s web of departments.You can import a CSV file (your existing data) and build an org chart in just a few mouse clicks using the auto-build feature. And when you are done, it also lets you export, share, or print your org chart to present it to your colleagues.
Using this software will help you create customizable org charts for a business of any size in either the private and public sector. Organimi is basically a web-based tool for building visually attractive diagrams. It gives you the option of building a chart from scratch, or importing an Excel or CSV file which presents the structure of your company and contacts.
With Organimi, you can drag the team members from the Member Roster tool in Organimi and create a chart using this data. This software lets you present contacts using photo boards that are available as a shared employee database to aid the improvement of interaction between team members.
Other things to point out about Organimi are its handy sharing, intellectual chart legends with badges and symbols, customized formatting, site integration, print and export options, and more.
- Create in minutes
- Easy drag-and-drop functionality
- Share the org chart in private or public channels
- Photoboard and Directory features
- SmartChart Legend feature
- Easy to use and navigate
- Handy Photoboard feature
- Responsive technical support
- No free plan
- Basic — $10 per user per month
- Premium — $20 per user per month
Freshteam is one of the best Org chart software that lets you create clear org charts effortlessly. You can organize people, processes, and positions to make sure that everyone is on the same page. This software focuses on helping its users manage their HR functions, like hiring, onboarding, worker’s details, and HR workflows, in a single place to eradicate the confusion about who is to do what.
Freshman automates even the most mundane tasks which help to cut down HR workload by a whopping 75%. Onboard are faster and everything (including employee data) is kept organized and stored under a lock and/or key. This software also offers stress-free tracking and reporting of absence and offs. Plus, it offers seamless integration with over 100 apps to bring every individual to the same page.
- Seamless integration
- Manage time-off
- Keep everything organized
- Onboard faster
- Automate mundane tasks
- Saves time through automation
- Tracks new hire’s journey and stages
- Capability to curate professional career page
- User experience can be confusing
- Incapable of tracking applicant diversity
- Limited analytics features
- Free (up to 50 users)
- Growth ($1.20 per employee, per month + $71 monthly platform fee)
- Pro ($2.40 per employee, per month + $119 monthly platform fee)
- Enterprise ($4.80 per seat, per month + $203 monthly platform charges):
Gliffy is one of the best Org chart software with a competitive price. This software has an intuitive drag and drop interface that makes work and your org chart creation a breeze. It has tons of ready-made templates which you can customize almost every of its elements, like styles, fonts, and colors to reflect your business style and needs.
Creating diagrams with Gliffy is a breeze as it introduces robust themes or templates to kick-start you into your idea. You can also choose to do something unique by dragging and dropping shapes. When you are done, you can easily share your work among colleagues using a generated URL link which can also be embedded in your website.
Gliffy also lets you collaborate swiftly among team members and also choose who can see, edit, and chat about your designs. This software is also Integrated with certain software like Atlassian which helps you add a drawing to Confluence and Jira.
With Gliffy, you can track everything you do including works from previous versions. Again, you can also import previous diagrams and give them a new touch and export them when you are done.
- Track Everything
- Collaborate swiftly
- Diagram with ease
- Getting started using Gliffy is a breeze
- Familiar and user-friendly user interface with drag and drop functionality
- Extra charges for Confluence add-ons
- Limited features in personal plan
- 2 weeks free trial
- Professional ($8 per month for up to nine users, $6 per month from 10 to up to 50 users)
- Enterprise: Contact Gliffy for price
With ClosePlan, you can be able to build an org chart directly from your current Salesforce contacts. ClosePlan is one of the best at Relationship Maps which offers sales teams a seamless org chart creator to visualize an organization’s structure, and view leads through to a close.
With ClosePlan, you can see engagement data. This sources data from collaboration systems, calendar, and email, and gives you an in-depth visibility of the progress and quality. To add to that, this software also offers AI-powered insights which helps to identify obstacles along the deals’ journey and help get leads back on track. This feature can boost close rates significantly.
Also, you get to see quantify deals and funnel health which would help boost revenue predictability by quantifying deals and sharing them across the organization. Plus, you get to use smart relationship maps which automatically generate maps in Salesforce and auto-populate the activity and contact fields.
- Smart relationship maps
- Quantify deals and funnel health
- AI-powered insights
- Engagement data
- Provides real data for B2B sales teams to build accurate forecasts
- Offers the capability to classify and track opportunities as they crawl through a sales funnel
- Speeds-up sales cycle: You can identify budget owners and influencers that can accelerate the process
- Has a steep learning curve
- Free trial
- Starting price – $10 per user per month
Pingboard is one of the best Org chart software boosting over a whopping 32,000 templates. This software claims to be a powerhouse and will handle whatever your organization structure may be, and help you offer features to map out your organisation in a way that makes sense.
This software helps you craft a complete employee directory with tons of personal data like interests, job titles, positions, birthdays, and contact details. Plus, you can make a 360 degrees view of connections which lets you quickly identify who reports to who and how your organization functions.
Also, you get to enjoy automatic updates in case someone joined the organization, changed their name, or moved up the ladder? Pingboard will automatically update their details without you having to do a thing. You can also spread word about internal opportunities and expected roles quickly which could include who would workers begin reporting to and work with?
With Pingboard, you get secure sharing which lets you share the org chart with the board of directors, consultants, and others securely. There is also a private org chart which gives you a chance to brainstorm and reorganise hiring ideas before posting open roles on the live org.
- Private org chart
- Secure sharing
- Announce open roles
- Automatic updates
- 360 degrees view of connections
- Can integrate with individual’s calendar for streamlined communications regarding new employees, birthdays, and work anniversaries
- Mobile responsive
- Integrates with various platforms like OneLogin, Google Suite
- If you’re on the free plan, you will have to constantly fight off the repeated prompts urging you to upgrade, even if you’re satisfied with the free plan
- A bit more pricy than its closest competitors
- Free plan
- Team (starting from $99 per month for 50 seats)
- Company (starting from $199 per month for 1,000 seats)
ClickUp is one of the best all-in-one productivity tools that teams across industries use to monitor project updates, optimize their processes, and collaborate smarter. This Org chart software is designed perfectly for teams of any size — ranging from solopreneurs to large-scale enterprises. This makes it a flexible and ideal choice for growing companies that are looking to generate org charts to greater levels.
ClickUp is great for all classes of users, whether you are a newbie or a professional, this Org chart software will aid you customize capabilities to fit your team’s size and needs. So far, ClickUp has been among the top-performing project management software that helps teams organize and streamline their business through various integrations, widgets, and embedded features.
It is also worth pointing out ClickUp Project Hierarchy tool which enables you to create clean and accurate org charts with color-coded fields, imported images, or embedded docs on an limitless canvas. With tons of functionalities, ClickUp is one of the best software to create an org chart.
- Mind maps
- ClickUp’s Workspace level presents a bird’s-eye view of your entire company and its structure.
- Track and collaborate on every task with a unique description, assignees, comments, and statuses.
- It’s easy to organize teams and departments, create separate folders, and set permissions.
- You can also house and organize the company’s tasks and break them down into multiple levels of nested subtasks.
- All-in-one solution for smooth workflow with 1,000+ integrations
- Customizable dashboards and neat interface
- Growing library of ready-made templates
- Steep learning curve
- The mobile app doesn’t have all ClickUp views
- Unlimited ($5 per seat per month)
- Business ($12 per seat per month)
- Business Plus ($19 per seat per month)
- Enterprise (Custom pricing, contact ClickUp)
7. The Org
The Org is known to be the best free org chart software used to create and share organizational structure with everyone in an organization. This Org chart software lets anyone access the org charts created on the platform. This can be an opportunity for you to peep into other leading companies’ org charts, like Tesla, Netflix, Google, and Amazon, and get some inspiration from other authority companies to power your business.
So, you can go ahead and access their charts and see how they organize their workforce and projects to give you a glimpse into what a successful Org chart should look like.
Using The Org, you will be able to build and share a unique org chart with anyone. All your team members can also contribute which keeps the org charts up to date and also increases and improves the workflow.
- Browse through org charts used by world-leading companies to draw inspiration.
- Use free resources to create high-quality org charts and increase your team’s productivity.
- Scout new hires and add potential employees to the calendar.
- Showcase your company’s organization and culture to attract new talent.
- Completely free
- User-friendly and intuitive interface
- Cross-company communication
- Charts accessible by anyone
- No mobile apps
The Org is completely free to use
Lucidchart is a cloud-based workspace, which allows its users to do more than just crafting their own org chart. It offers a range of features that aid in creating mind maps, wireframes, and brainstorming ideas. So far, this Org chart software holds up against a lot of major tests.
With Lucidchart, you can quickly create your org charts starting from the ground up or easily use a simple customizable template to create org charts quickly following a drag and drop technique which in turn, makes work easy and helps you save time.
Another thing to point out about Lucidchart is its intuitive interface which works on any browser, operating system, or device. Plus it is okay for beginners to get started on their learning journey. Lucidchart is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux. Plus it has mobile apps for iOS and Android devices.
- Diagraming features
- Intuitive interface
- Collaboration tools
- Data linking
- Easy to use
- Presentable and printable interface
- Enable Single Sign-On
- Ready-made templates
- The icon library offers limited common icons, only technical-based assets
- Cannot customize default color and size
- Difficult to customize the portal
- Cannot re-create a new chart on an already personalized one
- Individual (from $7.95)
- Team (from $9 per user)
- Enterprise (customized price)
Creately is one of the best Org chart software and an outstanding general diagram software that has robust commenting and collaboration features that are worth your investment. This Org chart software helps you create amazing and professional diagrams with just a few clicks away. Although Creately is cloud-based, you can also run it offline. This just makes it stand out from hundreds of other org chart software.
Creatly is a workspace that goes beyond visuals to helping you free your data from spreadsheets and tables by adding tasks, data, links, notes, and workflow status, among others. It also offers robust syncing making the same item appear as a process step, or sticky note. Again, you have the sensible data integration feature which lets you pull in only your desired items from usually unrelated platforms.
Generally, Creately is a task and work management software that operates on a smart visual canvas. In all, teams find it amazing and use it to organize, manage projects from one place, brainstorm, and also share their work with other members. Creately boost of having over 8 million users, including giant companies like NASA, PayPal, Disney, and eBay.
- Create and organize your workspace without cluttered tables and spreadsheets.
- Use 1,000+ org chart templates to create a hierarchical structure.
- Collaborate with other teams via video conferencing and live mouse tracking.
- Design no-code org charts using the drag-and-drop functionality and automatic drawing.
- Robust Syncing
- Sensible data integration
- User-friendly interface with collaboration features
- 1,000+ org chart templates
- Comprehensive free plan
- Slightly complex line creating
- A limited number of tutorials
- Free — Up to three canvases
- Personal — $4 per user per month
- Team — $4.80 per user per month
- Enterprise — Price available upon contact
ChartHop is one of the best new Org chart software that aims to help organizations explain every individual’s role better and provide transparency by showing who is joining or leaving a company. With ChartHop, you will also be able to manage the company’s org charts and store request changes for future reference.
ChartHop lets you visualize your data-rich org chart by several data points like tenure, team, and performance rating. You can also export historical versions of your org chart or choose to audit the whole org chart, the last quarter, or just a department. Another feature to point out is its filterable employee directory which lets coworkers share their skills, interests, hobbies, etc.
ChartHop provides analytics that boosts organizational health and accountability which helps your company save time and money. ChartHop also combines different sources of employee data into one cohesive visual platform. Also, this Org chart software integrates with BambooHR, Sequoia, Paylocity, Namely, and Lever integrations to display a clear organizational structure of your company.
- Arrange items on the org chart by performance rating, team, tenure, and much more.
- View the complete org chart reporting layout and use filters to show specific departments, compensation, performance, gender, etc.
- Export the existing org chart and include it in presentations or meetings.
- Rely on city-level maps that help nearby employees connect with one another.
- Feature-rich platform with easy-to-use interface
- Healthy work environment promotion
- Analytics-oriented solution
- Difficult navigation in certain sections
- Basic — free (up to 150 employees); $2 per user per month (150+ employees)
- Standard — $8 per user per month
- Premium — $12 per user per month
Monday.com is one of the best Org chart software and an award-winning project management and collaboration solution. This Org chart software has a central platform for file sharing and for smooth communication. It is also well integrated with various top-rated task management tools like Mailchimp, Jira, Google Drive, Dropbox, and others.
Monday.com is one of the best org chart tools to help you visualize your company’s structure, track time, quickly create task lists, manage projects, and collaborate with team members in real-time.
Speaking of real-time collaboration, you can invite your teammates to Monday.com and get started on your next project in a few mouse clicks. You can easily share ideas, assign them to tasks with ease, and discuss tasks. You will also be able to get instant visibility into your team’s progress with easily drag-and-drop task lists. This makes it easy to prioritize what needs to be taken more seriously.
So far, Monday.com is one of the fastest growing project management software that has garnered usage from over 80,000 teams worldwide.
- Monday.com has over 200 customizable templates for every team, industry, and business.
- A drag-and-drop functionality that lets you organize your org chart easily, with a few clicks.
- An org chart software that allows you to share charts, which gives access to all your employees and facilitates communication.
- Let’s manage your data as a timeline, map, calendar, and kanban board and integrate the org chart with Slack or HipChat.
- Easy-to-use interface
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android devices
- Various integrations and automation
- Org chart widget only available in the Enterprise plan
- Free forever — Up to five users
- Basic — $8 per user per month
- Standard — $10 per user per month
- Pro — $16 per user per month
- Enterprise — Price available upon contact
Smartsheet is one of the best Org chart software offering a spreadsheet-style project management solution to thousands of teams. This Org chart software works similarly to Excel, but what makes it stand out is that it does all the work for you, including adding filters and doing complex formulas.
Of course, Smartsheet is one of the best org chart software solutions with a free plan with features that cannot rival its paid plans. And just like other org chart software with premium plans, its paid plans offer key extra features.
In general, Smartsheet is the best org chart option for small businesses. It offers various functionalities and integrations, such as the ability to handle various company structures. And help you collaborate with team members effortlessly. Plus, it offers tons of customizable templates that lets you build Org charts in a few minutes.
- Customizable organization templates allow you to modify the chart according to the company’s or project’s needs.
- You can see task participants, start and due dates, project phases, and the steering committee.
- It’s easy to follow critical tasks and define the most important projects for your business.
- Smartsheet org charts are suitable for various company structures (matrix, flat, divisional).
- Customizable interface
- Hundreds of chart templates
- Easy-to-navigate platform
- No free plan
- Pro — $7 per user per month
- Business — $25 per user per month
- Enterprise — Price available upon contact
All the reviewed solutions will help you organize your staff and improve collaboration. When hiring a new employee, you can use such programs to select the most suitable role for a new team member for company development. They also help better understand the organization’s structure and see the importance of each new worker.
After a while, you can use the programs described in this review to learn more about the engagement of workers from other teams to get in contact with them for easy collaboration on the project or discussion of the required questions or ideas.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the overall best Org chart software?
There are many org chart software that are highly rated, the best overall that are usually highly rated are ClickUp and Monday.com.
What is the easiest Org chart software for beginners?
Some of the easiest Org chart software for beginners include Organimi and The Org.
What is the best free Org chart software?
The best free Org chart software are The Org, Creately, Pingboard, and Freshteam.
- Business2community.com – Best Org Chart Software — Top 10 for 2022
- ClickUp.com – 10 Best Org Chart Software for 2022
- Fixthephoto.com – 11 Best Organizational Chart Software for Business
- Filmlifestyle.com – 8 Best Org Chart Software in 2022 [Complete Guide]