Best Exercise Machine for Elderly – As we grow older, we often look for an easy fix, pill, surgery, or treatment to extend our longevity. This is mostly true as we age, and for elderly people, what might seem like an easy fix, like moving less, might be more harmful to our bodies. More alarming is the fact that research shows nearly 60% of the elderly population are seated for at least 4 hours every day, if not more.
It is necessary to note, that people who are 65 years and above who sit down for long periods have increased chances of developing disabilities, and have a 54% greater risk of dying from heart disease, they are also prone to experience cognitive decline, become overweight, have possible mental health problems, and more.
So you can say that health is more vital than ever in this age category which is why those over 65 should be working towards achieving the CDC’s recommendation of 150 minutes of moderate exercise every week to maintain their bodies.
There are diverse ways you can easily meet this requirement through a wide range workout routines using home exercise equipment for elderly. A lot people also start up their own home gyms so they can do home workouts any time. So, if you’re an elder and want to know the best ways to exercise, keep reading to discover the best machines and equipment.
Top 15 Best Exercise Machine For Elderly
- Elliptical Trainer
- Recumbent Exercise Bike
- Low-Impact Treadmill
- Wrist Weights
- Rowing Machine
- Home Gyms
- Exercise Ball
- Balance Trainers
- Resistance Bands
- Step Benches/Step Platform
- Stretch Machines
- Foam Roller
- Exercise/Yoga Mat
- Hand Gripper
1. Elliptical Trainer – NordicTrack Commercial Smart Elliptical Display
Transform your low-impact cardio training with the NordicTrack Commercial 14.9 elliptical. You can follow iFIT Trainers on a 14inch Smart HD touchscreen as they take you on live and on-demand workouts around the globe or in calorie-burning studio sessions. This expansive on-demand video library provides workouts for any level and our world-class trainers will digitally control your machine so you can focus on giving 100%.
The NordicTrack Commercial 14.9 elliptical includes a 30-day iFIT family membership that lets you create up to 5 individual profiles that each track health metrics, workout history, and exercise preferences. Immersive 14” Smart HD Touchscreen.
With iFIT, your trainers will auto-adjust your resistance to match global terrains and improve every workout to help you meet your fitness goals. Stream Live & On-Demand Workouts. You can select from thousands of on-demand workouts filmed across the globe and in the studio, or you can also visit the ‘On-Air’ section to see upcoming live events and classes.
- 30-Day iFIT Family Membership
- 14-inch interactive HD touchscreen
- 26 Digital Levels of Resistance
- Power Adjustable Stride
- Weight capacity: 350-pound
- It has two handles or handrails that helps you to stay stable while using it.
- It helps you to be well balanced and reduces your chances of falling
- It’s low impact and it is gentle on the joints, and reduces the risks of injury.
- It enhances your cardiovascular endurance and respiratory capacity, reducing your chance of certain diseases.
- Burns calories and helps weight loss
- Limited walking movement.
- They are quite pricey.
2. Recumbent Exercise Bike – Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike With Resistance ME-709
Are you looking for an easy way to shed extra pounds and increase cardiovascular endurance without going to the gym or taking too much space in your home? The ME-709 magnetic recumbent exercise bike got you all covered.
The ME-709 helps you benefit from similar type exercise features that are usually offered on other luxurious and expensive exercise bikes. This recumbent exercise bike was constructed with a compact design that can seamlessly fits into the smallest exercise spaces. Now, you easily shape, firm and tone your physique and improve your body’s cardiovascular endurance as you keep burning calories and losing weight.
If you want to enhance your cardiovascular endurance or lose extra fat, the Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike is the ideal workout equipment to add to your home gym. Now, you can save on gym memberships and make your home into your new favorite workout place with this unique exercise bike.
The ME-709 magnetic recumbent exercise bike is made of quality 14-gauge steel tubing, PVC, and rubber, this workout bike has a very good quality structure that joins design and performance with a powder coated finish. It is firm enough to resist scratches, chips, and damages from the around, sure to withstand heavy daily use. The specially designed seat with smoothly shaped handles improves proper body form helping your body to conform precisely to the equipment, allowing your workout take total effect on your target areas. The step through design is engineered to make it easier on the knees and back.
We recommend you invest in this unique piece of gym equipment now and enjoy an efficient fat-burning cardio workout session right in the comfort of your home!
- Step-through design
- 8 resistance levels
- Easy-to-read computer screen
- Comfortable padded seat
- Counterbalanced pedals
- This Low-impact stationary bike workout reduces the likelihood of an injury
- Reclined padded back rest
- Increases your cardiovascular fitness improves heart health
- It improves leg strength
- The recumbent bike is easy to use
- Workouts on a recumbent exercise bike can become a monotonous exercise
3. Low-Impact Treadmill – SereneLife Smart Electric Folding Treadmill
The SereneLife Smart Digital Treadmill Machine is a brilliant pick for fitness enthusiasts who can seldom to go to the gym. With this home exercise trainer you can achieve your perfect physique you desire at the comfort of your abode. With this treadmill, you can make your home an ideal gym for you to stay in shape. SereneLife SLFTRD20 features a stylish contemporary Space-friendly folding design with reliable, firm frame so users can easily store.
It is constructed with a powerful but quiet motor that is strong enough to hold long distance running sessions and versatile to meet diverse needs for all of your household, an LCD display to help you track time, calories, distance, speed, and heart rate. It also pairs to your device via Bluetooth, download the ‘FitShow App’ and can be connected to record and review training data, display training stats and challenge friends, and allow you share fitness data on social media. It works with iPhone and Android phones.
Low-impact treadmills are great exercise tools that allows you walk steadily on a moving platform, often with handrails. These treadmills offer advantageous workouts for people in old age, as the activity does not stress the joints as standard treadmills. Lastly, this treadmill allows you to steadily increase your endurance, respiratory capacity, balance, and optimize your cardiovascular fitness.
- Treadmill dimensions – 50” L x 24” W x 49.2” H | Folded dimensions – 25.2” L x 24” W x 49.2” H | Weight – 60 lbs. | Maximum user weight – 265 lbs. | Tread Belt – 39.37” L x 15.74” W | Speed – 0.6 to 6.0 MPH | Inclination – 3 levels
- LCD display w/ touch button control(Displays run time, distance, speed, calories burned, heart rate w/ running data statistics readout)
- Hassle-free electric motorized plug in design
- Use the adjusters to manually set incline levels
- Safer to use for those with musculoskeletal conditions as a treadmill places less stress on joints
- Allows you to walk on an even surface, no matter the weather condition
- Enhances your balance
- Good workouts for elderly people with mobility issues
- Treadmills can become boring
- Not all the muscles are engaged in comparison to walking or running outdoors
4. Kettlebells – Amazon Basics Cast-Iron Kettlebell 6kg
Do you know that you can switch up your fitness routine with the Amazon Basics Cast Iron Kettlebell? With its round ball-like profile and fixed loop handle, the kettlebell works as both weight resistance and as a counter balance for diverse upper- and lower-body exercises.
The kettlebell allows you exercise all major muscle groups, including arms, chest, back, abs, and legs. Some of the benefits of kettlebell exercises are; building muscles, optimizing core strength, and enhancing balance to promote better bone health, burning calories, boosting energy levels, enhancing mood, and more.
The kettlebell is durable and features high-quality solid cast-iron construction. This durable design makes sure of safe, reliable performance from one workout to another, so you maintain the focus on your in-the-zone routine. The kettlebell’s carefully curved handle comes with a textured surface to make sure you have a secure, comfortable grip and improved control. Its wide handle can be held with one hand or two for unlimited workout options.
- Solid Cast Iron
- Painted Surface
- Wide Textured Grip
- The resistance of the weight increases muscle mass
- They’re portable
- Kettlebell swings help joint issues and mobility, especially hips and arms
- A kettlebell helps with balance and reduces the risk of falls
- Enhances circulation throughout the whole body
- Need to be experienced to use
- It requires a higher learning curve otherwise; you’re more at risk of injuries
5. Wrist Weights – Deluxe Wrist Wraps
Are you finding it hard to get a wrist wraps that provide stability, and at the same time give you the freedom to move your wrists? Well the good news is… we got you covered. The Grip Power Pads 13 inch Long Wrist Wraps can be secured firmly to immobilize the wrists, or they can be wrapped less tightly to give support with less restriction of blood flow. The exciting part is… They will never become too stretchy and will stay durable!
Though they don’t add pounds to your total workout, wrist wraps can make a valid difference on each and every lift by protecting your hands and wrists from injury. With them you work out longer and harder each time. Whether you’re recovering from an injury or pushing yourself to the max in the gym, this top grade weightlifting wrist wraps will totally minimize the pain by protecting your wrists in a neutral position.
Grip Power Pads 13” Long Wrist Wraps are built to last for workout after workout. Constructed with high-quality stitching and strong closures, they’re totally adjustable. The wrap is not too long, which makes wrapping a lot more easier. Your wrists will be secured, regardless of the lifting or pressing movements you’re doing in the gym.
- Durable thumb loops & closures.
- Fully adjustable
- Can be secured tightly to firmly hold the wrists
- Will never become too stretchy
- Helps boost the amount of oxygen you breathe, and increases your lung capacity
- You increase the number of calories you burn
- They tone your arms and increase your forearm strength for everyday activities
- The handy wrist position offers diverse exercise options
- May cause shoulder pain and joint pain in your elbows and wrists
6. Rowing Machine – Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5 Performance Monitor
The Concept2 Model D rowing machine has an integrated advanced PM5 Performance Monitor, improved user-friendly designed handles, adjustable foot-rests, and a flywheel designed for smooth movement with very little noise. It also has a comfortable 14” (seat) height, an aluminum I-beam monorail and stainless steel track for a consistent back-and-forth slide.
After training, you can immediately break down the rower into two segments for easy storage or use the included caster wheels for easy mobility. The Concept 2 Rower gives one of the more comprehensive, full-body workouts of any gym equipment. Durably constructed, it’s low impact enough for use in physical rehabilitation centers, and challenging enough to be used by the world’s professional athletes.
The rowing machine allows you enjoy the benefits of full-body exercises while rowing. You use the rowing machine by pulling on handles toward your body and extending your legs in a rowing motion. This machine allows you to sit and select your intensity while exercising.
- Low impact workout
- Performance Monitor 5
- Inch seat height
- Adjustable footrests and ergonomic handle
- Caster wheels make it mobile
- Separates easily into two pieces for storage
- 500-pound user capacity
- Safe way for any older adults to stretch their muscles and improve flexibility
- Variable resistance level
- Rowing workouts enhances cardiovascular endurance
- Increases bone mineral density for seniors
- It’s low impact, reducing your chances of injury
- Space limitations, it’s not small! More practical for a commercial gym instead of a home workout.
7. Home Gyms – BRAYFIT FLEX400 Home Gym Equipment
BrayFit’s FLEX400 ALL-IN-1 Door Gym gives a satisfying full-body workout anywhere, anytime. This unique all-in-1 gym has literally everything you need to build muscle and burn fat, all in the comfort of your home, dorm, or office. If you are looking for a reason to begin your weight loss journey or you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle, this machine is ideal for people of all skill levels.
You can tone and shape your arms and legs with it’s thick heavy resistance bands, burn fat and tone. You can easily attach your FLEX 400 to most standard doors. The minimum recommended width for doors is 22 inches. The FLEX 400 is meant to be installed on a standard 80 inch tall door. Doors over 80 inches tall will likely not work. The bracket requires a standard ¼ inch gap for the bracket to clear the door jamb at the top and bottom.
You might have a busy schedule and may not have the chance to go to a commercial gym or want to benefit from exercise without having to travel; you can always invest in a home gym. Homes gyms provide a variety of strength and cardio-based fitness equipment.
- High-grade door gym resistance power cords (carefully crafted power cords, stranded rubber consistent resistance)
- Complete pre-assembled All-In-One (The door gym includes six (6) BrayFit door mounted strong resistance bands, two wrist/ankle straps, four metal locks, two padded handles, installation guide, and mobile device workout companion app. Constructed to meet all of your home gym equipment exercise needs. You do not need to purchase any additional accessories.)
- Allows elderlies to exercise and improve fitness any time they like
- The only limitations are space and money
- You enjoy your privacy
- You may not have the variety of activities you do at a commercial gym
- Requires a lot of space
8. Exercise Ball – BalancFrom Anti-Burst And Slip Resistant Exercise Ball
The BalanceFrom Anti-Burst Slip Resistant Fitness Balls joins anti-slip technology with tasteful design to ensure an excellent slip-resistant product. With the help of thick and long lasting materials, BalanceFrom fitness balls are rated to 2,000 pounds to not burst. It also has a free pump included in the package that makes the assembly quick and easy.
This commercial grade material gives an excellent slip resistant experience while ensuring your safety. The fitness ball is easy to clean with just a soft wet cloth. Most important, this fitness ball is phthalates free and does not have any heavy metal elements
With a stability ball there’s no limit to the exercise routine options as a range of movements can be paired with them. Another of the most essential benefits is that they help engage your core and improve balance.
- Made with thick and durable materials
- Excellent slip resistant experience
- Easy to clean
- A free foot-pump
- They Improve posture for older adults
- Ideal for improving balance capability and flexibility
- Its simple function makes exercises and developing core strength easy
- Could increase the risk of older adults falling during exercises
- It does not provide support for the upper back
9. Balance Trainers – URBNFit Wooden Balance Board Trainer
A balance trainer is also known as a balance board. They are a cushion that wobbles which strengthens your muscles and combat balance issues. The URBNFit balance boards for adults and kids are not only a fun way to help improve balance, body control, agility, and strength, but also engage all muscle groups. You can enhance your balancing skills with this surf balance board.
It is perfect for skateboarding, snowboarding, skiing, and response training for basketball, football, lacrosse, and hockey. Well constructed with strong poplar wood, non-slip tape, and an easy-glide roller, this trainer is a high-quality balance board adults and children can use for years to come.
This stationery piece of equipment can be used on its own for balance exercises or paired with cardio exercises. There are various balance trainers or balance boards available on the market, so you have to choose according to your weight, fitness capability, and age.
So now you can begin with your wood balance board immediately! Each one includes a mobile-friendly workout guide, so you can work on achieving rock-solid footing come game time. Fitness goals can only be met if you’re consistent in following through with them. Luckily, these balance boards are an ideal way to help you become a happier, healthier adult
- Multisport Training
- Constructed with strong poplar wood, non-slip tape, and an easy-glide roller, this trainer is a high-quality balance board adults and children can use for years to come
- Includes a mobile-friendly workout guide
- Dynamic workout
- It improves your coordination and reduces your risk of falls.
- It contributes to stronger joints by stabilizing your shoulders, knees, hips, and ankles.
- It helps decrease the risk of back pain by strengthening back muscles.
- You have to balance on an unstable surface. If you’re new to using a balance trainer, you might fall.
10. Resistance Bands – Amonax Resistance Bands Set for Women and Men
Resistance bands are elastic bands you can use to train certain body parts such as legs or arms. The bands cover a wide range of resistance levels, designed to suit a variety of exercises, help you train ALL MUSCLES for ALL PURPOSES, including glute and leg activation, yoga/pilates, ankles and arms. Resistance bands are kind of similar to free weights meaning you can do a variety of muscle-building exercises to improve muscle tone. You can also use them to do a variety of flexibility exercises. When used with a bench, it’s even possible to replicate a traditional bench press using resistance bands.
The natural rubber used in the manufacturing of this resistance bands are produced form the best quality latex. These bands allow stretching 2 times the diameter. They are also 30% THICKER than other brands. This unique quality and extra thickness guarantee no rolling no snapping. A high-quality carry bag is included for neat and ultra-compact storage. You can enjoy your workouts anywhere, anytime.
- It is 50% more effective than other brands
- Produced form the best quality latex
- Allow stretching 2 times the diameter
- This premium quality and extra thickness ensures no rolling or snapping
- An included carry bag
- Resistance bands are portable, and you can use them anywhere
- They’re affordable for elderlies
- Resistance bands gives less compression on the joints than free weights
- They engage your core muscles, and by so doing contributing to better balance and stability.
- It takes knowledge and a certain level of skill to work muscles effectively with resistance bands.
- Restrictions are according to the intensity of each resistance band.
11. Step Benches/Step Platform – BalanceFrom Adjustable Workout Aerobic Stepper Step Platform Trainer
A step bench is an elevated bench or platform that allows older adults to perform aerobics or exercises that involves a step. BalanceFrom Adjustable Workout Aerobic Stepper Step Platform Trainer, 4 Removable Raisers Included. Raisers are included, so you can adjust the platform among 4-inch, 6-inch and 8-inch high of your choice. The textured surface is non-slip, and shock absorbing, the surface is a slip-free, which means with every single set of steps, you can have stability.
The equipment for elderly comes with a variety of heights, which you can change according to your scope of movement.
- There are raisers, so you can adjust the platform among 4-inch, 6-inch and 8-inch high of your choice
- Textured surface is non-slip, and shock absorbing
- Constructed with the durable ABS material for durability
- It is lightweight, easy to carry around, assemble and store
- Dimension: 31-inch long and 11. 5-inch wide, height is adjustable at 4-inch, 6-inch and 8-inch
- It focuses on your core, leg muscles, and upper body, contributing to better balance and flexibility.
- Frequently practicing with the step bench minimizes your risk of falls
- It enhances coordination for elderly
- Burns calories
- It can place a lot of pressure on the knees, hips, and back
12. Stretch Machines – Nitrofit Stretching Machine Limber Pro
The Nitrofit Limber Pro was made to be more affordable than the top stretching machines as it offers more features. You can compare the top machines side by side and you will realize why the Nitrofit Limber Pro is the most valuable stretching machine on the market for home or semi-commercial use.
The Limber Pro features adjustable seat to accommodate users of different heights. It also guides its user through a wide range of seated stretch positions. Whether you want to start off your day with a quick stretch to relax sore muscles or warming up for tougher workouts, the Nitrofit Limber Pro will help you stay flexible so that you continue living your active lifestyle.
So you can get a deep and effective gym style stretch in the comfort of your home or office. The Nitrofit Limber Pro is the only Stretch machine you can find that has an adjustable seat that can be moved to fit the height of its users. With the Nitrofit Limber Pro you can improve flexibility, range of motion, sports performance and relieves back pain. This equipment will help to make sure that you maintain proper stretching form and posture during each stretch exercise. Its adjustable seat and removable calf stretch board, make the Nitrofit Limber Pro perfect for users of different heights and flexibility levels.
- Seat adjusts to fit users of various sizes
- 9 Stretch exercises illustrated on handle bar mount placard
- Adjustable & removable calf stretch board with designated support handles
- Removable Media Shelf fits phones and tablets
- Wheels for easy mobility
- It can help improve your bearing
- Increases your flexibility
- The machine can reduce the risk of injury
- Better performance
- Increased circulation
- If not done properly, it can cause muscle tears in the tissue and trauma for elderlies
13. Foam Roller – LuxFit Speckled Foam Rollers
LuxFit High Density Foam Roller is ideal for Physical Therapy, before or after Exercise, Yoga, and Massage Therapy. Foam Muscle Rollers helps to relieve Muscles Tension and increase Muscle flexibility. Molded polypropylene foam technology has 2 lbs. per cubic foot density, smooth surface; it will not lose its shape even after heavy use, and Repels Liquids. Trigger Point Foam Roller, Stretching Foam Roler.
It is are available in 4 sizes for all your needs , 36 Inch, 24 Inch, 18 Inch, 12 Inch. 36 Inch foam roller is the largest size. The blue Foam Rollers are ideal for Back Pain and Back Exercises. Great for core stabilization, balance, and stamina. 6 Inch wide Round Foam Roller.
Foam exercise roller helps minimize risk of muscle Injury, and they are perfect for positioning, balance, postural and muscle re-education, spinal stabilization, body awareness and coordination, ranging and strengthening activities. They’re very affordable exercise equipment, lightweight, and mobility is seamless. You can use it before, during, and after exercise.
- Extra Firm Gym Foam Roller
- 4 Sizes Available For All Your Needs – 36 Inch, 24 Inch, 18 Inch, 12 Inch
- Full 10 Year Limited Warranty
- Increases range of motion in joints of older adults
- It is low impact exercise
- Improves flexibility
- They’re widely available, but qualities are not the same.
14. Exercise/Yoga Mat – Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat Fitness & Exercise Mat
Whichever level you are on your fitness journey, getting functional products at a value is always a brilliant addition. Gaiam Essentials offers a wide range of colors and styles designed to keep your workout progressive.
This Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Fitness Exercise Mats are the perfect classic exercise mat for all types of yoga, Pilates and floor exercises. These durable, yet lightweight fitness mats are extra-thick (2/5 Inch) for the extra cushioning of your joints during any yoga or fitness routine. It comes in colors, having also a carrying strap so you can strap up your mat and get going.
Yoga mat is a simple, very affordable, and effective piece of equipment for elderly. You can perform a variety of low-impact exercises on your knees, arms, and legs from the floor. Yoga mats are usually for doing pilates, yoga, and core exercises.
- Extra thick yoga mat
- Soft cushion
- Yoga mat carrier strap
- They help strengthen the core and improve balance
- It’s very affordable
- It can be used anywhere and is a great home exercise equipment
- Some are thin and can break easily
15. Hand Gripper – IronMind Captains of Crush (COC) Hand Gripper
A hand gripper is an ideal exercise equipment for elderly that helps build up strength within the hands and fingers. IronMind constructed the Captains of Crush (CoC) Silver Bullet Hold as a training tool and also an event for grip strength contests. Visually appealing and intuitively obvious, this CoC Silver Bullet Hold has been used in grip contests from California to Russia, with stops in Finland, England, and Ukraine.
They’re fantastic for older adults as they help improve their hand-skills. This equipment has two handles you place in one hand and squeeze together. When you work the hand muscles like this it helps strengthen your grip, and this is super useful every day
You might think your hands are too big, too small or just not right for a gripper, but the Silver Bullet is perfect for anyone. To use it, just hold on as long as you can. The Captains of Crush grippers are a perfect choice for increasing your crushing grip.
- Come in 11 strengths
- Made from top quality
- Pricing friendly
- Develop a higher threshold to resistance and pain
- Strengthens muscles in your hands, fingers, and forearms
- It may not be ideal if you suffer from wrist pain
Frequently Asked Questions
Which exercise machine is best for elderly?
Here are some of the best exercise machines for elderly:
- Elliptical Trainer
- Stability Ball
- Lat Pull Down Machine
- Yoga Mat
- Wrist Weights
- Recumbent Exercise Bike
- Rowing Machine
Is a treadmill or elliptical better for elderly?
Firstly, the treadmill targets speed and incline, helping your running, walking, and cardiovascular endurance. Although, it can cause a lot of pressure on the knees, ankles, and hip joints. That is why, as an alternative, the elliptical trainer tends to be a much better cardio equipment, as it is a low-impact machine and give a total-body. It also works forward and backward which allows you to engage more muscles.
Fitness equipment and exercise equipment for older adults can reduce the chances of falls, cognitive decline, aid sleep, better mental health, increase bone density, muscle mass, and many more. It only needs you to exercise moderately for 150 minutes every week to start noticing and feeling the changes.
Elderly people who haven’t been active for long might be interested in starting with some simple chair exercises, or use a chair to aid while balancing, and build up easy mobility and fitness from there. Safety should always be a paramount.
bestusedgymequipment.com – exercise equipment for seniors
step2health.com – exercise equipment for seniors
healthline.com – best workout equipment for older adults