Best NAS Software – Network attached storage (NAS) is a file-level computer data storage server connected to a computer network providing data access to a heterogeneous group of clients.
Perhaps, NAS systems are specialized file servers offering a networked file system.
Moreover, a NAS server operates as an appliance and contains one or more storage drives, often arranged into logical, redundant storage containers or RAID.
NAS devices typically connect directly to the network and provide file-based data storage services.
Because of this, NAS devices are manufactured as appliances or built with software and hardware components that can be integrated with network infrastructure components.
On the other hand, NAS Software can be used to create a private cloud storage system or to share data with others on a public network.
However, considering the advanced tools that NAS software comes with, they can be used to create backups of data, to stream media files, or to access files from anywhere in the world.
Majority of these NAS software are often manufactured as a computer appliance – a specialized computer built from the ground up for storing and serving files – or as a component of the server class of computer.
One of the fantastic features of NAS software is that they helps users manage their storage space and backups.
Top 10 Best NAS Software
Nexenta is a software suite that provides administrators with an overview of the NAS devices in their environment, as well as the performance of those devices.
Being an outstanding software, it can be used to configure and manage NAS devices, as well as to diagnose and fix issues.
In as much as Nexenta is expensive, it offers a lot of features and it is available in both a free and paid version, making it easy for everyone to access. So even if you don’t have any budget for purchasing the software, you can use the free version to achieve your desired goal.
At the time of writing, it was recorded that Nexenta’s software is used by large companies and government organizations.
Another fantastic feature while this software is popular is because it is reliable and has a lot of features.
By using this fantastic software, users will have the ability to easily search for, access, and manage their data. Nexenta also provides users with the ability to easily share their data with other users in their organization.
Nexenta also has a feature that allows administrators to create and manage storage devices and user accounts from a central location. This feature is called the Nexenta Storage Manager.
The Storage Manager is a web-based interface that allows administrators to create and manage storage devices, user accounts, and user groups.
Furthermore, Nexenta is a reliable and affordable solution that can help any organization improve its data management practices.
- Although it’s simple, it has a powerful design
- Nexenta is fast, reliable, and affordable, making it a great option for businesses of all sizes.
- It can be installed on a single server or distributed across multiple servers.
- It can also be used to monitor and manage NAS devices.
- It comes with an intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) that makes it easy to diagnose and resolve storage issues.
- It provides administrators with an easy way to configure, manage and optimize storage resources.
- It has a straightforward interface that makes it ideal for small businesses and home users.
- It has a user-friendly interface, is reliable, and can be customized for your needs.
- It offers a number of valuable features that make it a great option for storing large files.
- Nexenta has a comprehensive reporting system that lets administrators track the performance of their systems in real time.
- It has a wide range of storage solutions, including object storage, block storage, and file storage.
- It claims to have features that no other NAS software company has.
- Nexenta is an expensive solution.
- It is difficult to use and that the interface is confusing.
Prices start at $499 for a single server and can go up from there.
FreeNAS software is a powerful and versatile storage solution that can be used in a variety of scenarios.
It is a great choice for small businesses, home users, and gamers who need plenty of storage space for their games and media files.
You can almost install FreeNAS, a storage operating system, on any hardware platform. Data sharing via a network is possible with this application.
To store and safeguard data, use this program along with ZFS. This program may be used anywhere, either at home or at a business.
Utilize the online interface to control every element of this software. The file system can be captured in a snapshot at any moment and saved.
Because this great software is a versatile platform, it can be used for a variety of purposes, such as home storage, small office storage, and larger enterprise storage.
On the other hand, this software is one of the best NAS software for sharing files between multiple devices.
Another outstanding feature is that FreeNAS can be used on a variety of platforms, including Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Perhaps, being one of the best NAS software, it is available in both free and commercial versions, and can be used to manage a variety of devices.
Furthermore, it has a number of features that make it an attractive option, including support for various storage devices, robust backup and recovery capabilities, and a wide range of integrations.
- FreeNAS is the only open source endeavor that supports ZFS volume encryption. A hardware-accelerated, industry-standard AES-XTS encryption option for entire volume encryption is available during volume construction (when the processor has AES-NI capability).
- ZFS Snapshots may be used to create remote backups in addition to local backups. When replicating snapshots of the filesystem there, a complete copy of the filesystem is created on the distant ZFS disk.
- ZFS enables the creation and storage of complete filesystem snapshots at any time. As long as a file is still accessible, administrators have access to it in the same state as when the snapshot was taken.
- File sharing is an area where FreeNAS shines. Every significant operating system supports SMB/CIFS (Windows file sharing), NFS (Unix file shares), and AFP (Apple File Shares). Additionally accessible are FTP, iSCSI (block sharing), WebDAV, and other methods of network-wide data exchange.
- It is available in a variety of editions and configurations, including a free download.
- It offers a lot of features for free and can be used for a variety of purposes, such as sharing files and printers, making backups, and hosting a web server.
- It is reliable, secure, and efficient.
- Users can easily install it on a wide variety of devices, including desktop and laptop computers, servers, and smartphones.
- It is available for free and is very easy to set up.
- It can be difficult to install and configure
- It is not always compatible with other devices on the network.
This software is an open source file and it can be downloaded for free from diverse platforms.
XigmaNAS is a NAS software that has seen use in a variety of ways by both small businesses and large organizations.
Being a highly rated software, XigmaNAS is an essential part of a network infrastructure and can be used to store, share, and access files and other media.
One of the outstanding features of this NAS software is that it can be used to store critical business data, archive media, and make it available to multiple users across the organization.
When a company has a substantial number of networked devices, such as servers and workstations, it is recommended that XigmaNAS software be deployed.
XigmaNAS is the ideal option for data storage, analysis, administration, and sharing in on-site and off-site data centers.
The software has been developed for applications that are mission-critical. It has been specifically created to work with a range of file systems and network configurations.
This program enables administrators to manage many NAS systems from a single central interface.
It uses one of the best CPU monitoring apps, which will demonstrate how this tool matches up with the best NAS software used on a large scale, in order to control the processor temperature.
When it comes to managing NAS devices, XigmaNAS software has everything that you need. It offers features that allow users to control and manage their NAS devices from a central location.
Another reason why we recommend this software is that it makes it easy to share files and folders between NAS devices.
Furthermore, this great software can be used to store files, folders, and even whole hard drives. This software is very versatile and can be used by anyone, regardless of their experience or skill level.
- XigmaNAS software makes it easy to access your files from anywhere in the network.
- It is quite a versatile tool, making it ideal for a variety of needs.
- It was documented that XigmaNAS is the latest addition to the NAS family
- It is perfect for small businesses and home users who need a high-capacity storage solution that is easy to use.
- It provides a wealth of powerful features that can help increase efficiency and productivity.
- It provides users with a secure platform to store important data.
- It is available in multiple editions, including a free community edition.
- It is versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes, such as file sharing, backup, and media streaming.
- Increased efficiency with centralized storage
- Reduced time spent managing files and folders
- Increased security with encryption and password protection
- Multiple users can share a single NAS device
- Quick and easy system updates with automatic updates
- No need for hardware or software upgrades
- It is slow in performance and lack of portability.
XigmaNAS is totally free and it is available in different operating systems
OpenMediaVault is a network attached storage (NAS) solution that is available for a wide range of platforms.
Accordign to user rating, OpenMediaVault is perfect for small businesses and home users who need a high-performance storage solution.
One of the fantastic features of this NAS software is that it offers users a single interface to manage all their storage needs.
OpenMediaVault has services like SSH and FTP.
Perhaps, this program facilitates system upgrades and aids in user management.
It aids in job scheduling and offers support for several languages. This program has IPv6 functionality and runs on the LAN network.
However, users revealed that this program monitors the system condition and sends email notifications without being manually configured.
It is available as an open source solution, which is fantastic for those who want more control over their data.
At the time of writing, OpenMediaVault is rated as one of the best NAS software and it is a fantastic choice for those who need a high-performance storage solution that is available as an open source solution.
The framework’s modular nature allows for plugins to enhance it. Openmediavault is primarily designed for use in home offices and small workplaces, albeit not entirely.
This simple, user-friendly out-of-the-box solution, which is a fantastic option in the case of free NAS software, will allow anybody to setup and administer a Network Attached Storage.
Furthermore, OpenMediaVault has advanced features that makes it possible for users to track the progress of their projects.
It can be enhanced via plugins.
It contains services like SSH, (S)FTP, SMB/CIFS, AFS, UPnP media server, DAAP media server, RSync, BitTorrent client and many more.
It can be used in small offices or home offices, but is not limited to those applications.
It is rated as a next generation network attached storage (NAS) solution based on Debian Linux.
- It is easy to use
- It has a robust support community.
- It is perfect for large networks, small businesses, or home users.
- Automated backups
- Comprehensive user management
- Scalability to meet growing needs
- Intuitive GUI
- It does not support live migration of virtual machines
- It is not as powerful as some of the more expensive virtualization software options.
OpenMediaVault is quite free for every user regardless your operating system.
Rockstor NAS software is a powerful and efficient storage operating system designed to meet the needs of modern Network-Attached Storage (NAS) deployments.
Being one of the best NAS software, it features both a user-friendly graphical interface and a sophisticated file management API that allows administrators to easily manage large storage arrays.
In as much as this great software is very simple and easy to use, it can be used to store music, movies, and photos.
Perhaps, it is perfect for small businesses and home users who want to have a centralized location for their media.
You may create and control your cloud storage using it. The cost of storing big volumes of data is decreased with this program.
To manage privacy, this program offers a personal cloud server. Defend your data against loss and theft.
Another great feature of Rockstar is that users can utilize this program to gain network access to centralized storage.
According to documentations, Rockstor being one of the best NAS software has a variety of features that can be useful for home and small office users.
It is compatible with both iSCSI and Fibre Channel for data backup, which is quite beneficial. The application, which can be used to back up any kind of data, is compatible with a wide range of operating systems.
It also contains complex features including SMART check, COW (non-volatile) disc, Jumbo Frames, encryption, built-in scheduler, Auto Reconfigure, and uplink speeds of over 10Gbps.
However, it has an easy to use interface and supports a variety of protocols.
Meanwhile, Rockstor is highly optimized for NAS devices and provides support for a wide range of storage devices.
At the time of writing, Rockstar is rated as one of the most powerful NAS software and it has an efficient storage operating system which is designed to meet the needs of modern Network-Attached Storage (NAS) deployments.
- It has the ability to schedule backups, restore files, and monitor the status of backups.
- It can manage servers, network attached storage, and storage area networks (SANs).
- It has a simple and easy-to-use interface, and it is available on both Windows and Mac.
- It can backup and restore NAS devices through the use of its online interface, making it a great choice for users with multiple NAS devices.
- It has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to use.
- It is available in Windows, Mac, or NAS devices running Linux.
- Increased efficiency, as data can be stored centrally and accessed quickly by all users
- Reduced storage costs, as files can be stored on remote servers and accessed at any time
- Enhanced security, as data is protected by a secure firewall and encrypted
- It doesn’t have as many features as some of the other options.
- The user interface can be confusing and difficult to navigate.
It is free to use
Openfiler is a network-attached storage (NAS) and storage area network (SAN) operating system.
Being listed among the best NAS software, Openfiler is designed to provide enterprise-level features and manageability.
Another fantastic feature is that it is available in two editions: Community Edition and Enterprise Edition.
In as much as this outstanding software is free and open source software, it has a wide range of features in the sense that it is easy to install and can be up and running in minutes.
According to user reviews this great software provides file-based shared storage and block-based storage on a single platform.
It also has a commercial edition with additional features. You may install this program using either a graphical user interface (GUI) or a text-based installation.
This program supports a variety of file systems. Fiber channel target is one of the sophisticated capabilities of this program.
However, it is an excellent choice for small and medium businesses that need to consolidate file and application servers.
It is also a good choice for organizations that need to deploy a highly available storage solution.
Furthermore, Openfiler is one of the best open source project that is licensed under the GNU General Public License.
- Fibre Channel target compatibility
- It enable scalable storage management for businesses and organizations of all sizes.
- Excellent Availability
- It supports file-based network-attached storage and block-based storage area network.
- It is available in both free and paid versions.
- Replication at the block level
- It supports a wide range of storage protocols and file systems, and it can be used to create storage arrays of any size.
- It is very simple to install and configure
- It provides a web-based graphical user interface that makes it easy to manage storage.
- It consolidates file, block, and object storage in a single platform and supports a wide range of heterogeneous storage hardware.
- It also supports popular storage protocols including iSCSI, NFS, CIFS, and FTP.
- It is not as widely used as some of the other NAS server software options out there, so there may be less support available if you run into problems.
The software is free
Amahi is amazing home server software that allows you to easily share media and other files with all your devices on your home network.
This great software is very simple to install and easy to use, and it’s completely free.
Being one of the best BNAS software, it has a wide variety of features that allow users to do things like stream media, back up data, and share files.
However, according to user statistics, Amahi also supports a variety of apps that you can install on your server. Amahi is a great way to set up your own home server.
This program manages your computing demands and serves as your home’s central computer. This program aids in the storage and delivery of your recorded TV shows.
You may securely share your info with others all around the world.
Perhaps, the storage solution may be expanded by installing applications with a single click.
One of the outstanding features of this software is that it include ARM-based single-board computers, personal computers, and even some routers.
On the other hand, Amahi has a web-based interface that makes it easy to use.
- It has the ability to stream media to devices and manage digital photos, which make it an ideal solution for a home server.
- You can use it to keep track of your personal files, as well as to manage and organize your business files.
- It is a very versatile software that can be used for a variety of purposes.
- The software is very user-friendly and it is very easy to use.
- It is easy to install and set up, and it can be used to store and share files, stream media, and back up data.
- It has a slick web interface that makes it easy to control your home server from any computer or mobile device on your network.
- It is easy to use and has a user-friendly interface.
- It can be used to share files, stream media, and even set up a website, all using your home computer.
- It is very reliable and has a wide range of supported hardware.
- Some users complained that it is difficult to set up
The software is free of charge
PetaSAN is a NAS software that was designed to make it easy to manage files and share information between multiple devices.
Besides being one of the best NAS software, PetaSAN has a variety of features that make it a popular choice for businesses and home users.
By using PetaSAN users will find it easy to manage data and keep track of changes.
According to user reviews, this outstanding software can be used to manage both centralized and distributed storage. It is a useful tool for administrators and engineers.
Perhaps, this great software is available on multiple platforms and is commonly used in businesses and organizations that have a large number of servers.
Another fantastic feature of PetaSAN is that it makes it easy for users to manage data and keep track of changes.
On the other hand, PetaSAN is an enterprise software-defined storage solution that delivers high performance, availability, and scalability.
It is designed to provide a unified storage platform for virtualized environments and is the only storage solution that supports both VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- It has advanced tools that data center administrator, database administrator, and storage specialist can use to handle their projects.
- It has a user-friendly interface, which makes it easy to manage and monitor.
- It has a powerful storage management solution that is offered as part of NAS software.
- It has unique tools that make it an excellent choice for storage administrators.
- It has an enterprise grade solution that it easy to deploy and scale.
- It can be used to create backups of important data
- It can be used to share data between computers.
- It can be difficult to learn.
The software is quite free.
CryptoNas is a unique feature of NAS software that allows users to encrypt their data using strong cryptography.
Being one of the best NAS software, it a great solution for those who want to keep their data safe from unauthorized access.
Perhaps, CryptoNas is a unique feature of NAS software that allows users to encrypt their data with strong cryptography.
There are quite a good number of features that CryptoNas has. For instance, by encrypting your data, you can ensure that no one, not even the NAS server owner, can access your files without your permission.
However, CryptoNas is a unique feature of NAS software that allows users to encrypt their data using strong cryptography.
This makes it an ideal solution for users who want to keep their data safe from unauthorized access.
It has powerful data storing and management capabilities. According to documentation, it is multilingual program that offers a wide range of encryption techniques. This program may be installed on a hard drive or a USB flash drive.
NAS software is a software that encrypts data, making it safe from theft or corruption.
On the other hand, this makes it an ideal solution for users who want to keep their data safe from unauthorized access.
- It allows users to encrypt their data using strong cryptography.
- It is rated as an ideal solution for users who want to keep their data safe from unauthorized access.
- It provides a centralized location for all of your files, making it easy to access and manage.
- It can be used to store large files, store media files, share files, store backups, and more.
- It has the ability to encrypt all of the data on the NAS.
- It is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- It can be difficult to move large files between different NAS devices.
The software is free.
The OpenDedupe software is a powerful tool that can help you manage and organize your data.
Being one of the best NAS software, it has advanced features and it can be used to keep track of your files, folders, and even entire drives.
Perhaps, OpenDedupe can also be used to deduplicate your data, which can save you a lot of space on your hard drive.
Experianced users can use this great software to deduplicate data, meaning that it can help you remove duplicate files from your system.
Moreover, this software being rated as one of the best NAS software is designed to work with a variety of file formats, including text, CSV, and JSON.
Furthermore, OpenDedupe was designed to deduplicate data at rest, which means it is most effective when used on static data that does not change often.
- It is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux, and it is free to use.
- It can be used to improve the efficiency of your organization.
- It is available as a free download from the NAS Software website.
- It has advanced tools that enables users to work with the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS).
- It is released under the GNU General Public License.
- It is very efficient in terms of storage and CPU usage.
- It is not as widely adopted as some other data deduplication software solutions.
This software is quite free
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most popular NAS OS you can download and install for free?
TurnKey Linux is a popular Linux distribution and a credible contender for the best free NAS solution. The TurnKey File Server provides a simple NAS software and web-based file manager for managing public or private storage.
How much RAM do I need for NAS?
It depends on the operating system, the file system, and whether or not you’re running any applications. A minimum of 8GB is required for FreeNAS utilizing ZFS, however 2GB should do for a modest, basic NAS.